[lbo-talk] 2004-8 (Out of Iraq)

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Wed Oct 6 09:45:18 PDT 2004

Rather than expecting Bush and Kerry to spell out the deadline of US troop withdrawal from Iraq, which neither will, organizers, activists, and intellectuals on the left should be getting together on the local and national levels, hashing out our own timeline for rebuilding social movements ASAP and our own plan for independent political action on the electoral front in the next election cycle of 2006-8. That will get us better prepared than in this election cycle. -- Yoshie

Yes, I agree. And we have Steve Martin's book, _How to Make a Million Dollars in Real Estate_, as our model for doing this: "First, get a million dollars..."

Resuscitating an anti-war movement is key, for sure, but all the neo-Leninism in the world won't make it happen. Events in the headlines will. And what's there to plan? The United States should withdraw from Iraq forthwith and pay heavy war reparations. The United Nations and Iraq's Arab allies should administer the policing and money. Pretty simply, really. Lenin was a schlang. Rally your friends and join the party, if and when it restarts again.