[lbo-talk] in which lbo-talk defends 'the sopranos'

Joel Wendland joelrw at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 6 12:51:45 PDT 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:
>Call me reactionary or old-fashioned, but I don't think the mission of art,
>or even entertainment, is to promote progressive values.

The biggest problem, to be somewhat simplistic, with art under capitalism isn't necessarily its message, but that it is a commodity use to chain artists. Progressive art is about freeing artists form that cycle regardless of message. It's a question of alienation and exploitation not passing on communistic ideals -- or whatever.

Oh and negative reactions to Sopranos, in my view, ar epurely subjective. If a viewer thinks it's glorifying vilence etc., they might contemplate how they personally view violence etc. rather than complain about a TV show about a racist, sexist, homophobic thug whom the TV show's writers make no bones about exposing.

Joel Wendland

_________________________________________________________________ Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/