[lbo-talk] in which lbo-talk defends 'the sopranos'

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Oct 6 14:06:47 PDT 2004

Ted Winslow wrote:

> But as much I personally love Vivaldi's
> Gloria, I would find it offensive if some one were to write: "Vivaldi's
> Gloria gives more pleasure than "Achy-breaky-heart."
>
> This is claiming, isn't it, that your "subjective feeling" - "I find offensive etc." - is superior to "the subjective states of _other_ peopls."

No. It is the writing, a political _act_, not the (presumed) subjective feeling I object to. My expression of the point was doubtless too laconic, but I don't have time to develop it now. I think that writing such a judgment implies the superiority as humans of those who have the superior pleasure.

Carrol