[lbo-talk] U.S. religious ID: "none" makes a big gain

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Thu Oct 7 09:02:27 PDT 2004

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Marvin Gandall wrote:

> Doug H. wrote:
>
> > The non-religiously identified make up the
> > third largest group in the country.
> Hallelujah, amen, and praise the Lord!

Even though I belong to this "group", I don't think this is anything to celebrate. It's a pretty obvious effect of the incessant individualism that capitalism incites. These people really aren't a coherent group (I have little in common with a lapsed Catholic, other than the fact we don't take communion). Perhaps we can create different forms of social cohesion and community not based on religious ties; right now, though, lack of religious affiliation--like low levels of political activism or volunteerism--is a sign of the hyperindividualization of social life.

Miles

Disagree! Rehabilitating (and internationalizing) the separation of church and state would be important in any kind of decent left-moving reform movement. And the agnostics are the main base for developing this kind of thing. They've already thought their way through the first wall of junk consciousness.