[lbo-talk] Warm summers or dark ages?/ (An offer you can't refuse)

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Thu Oct 7 09:35:25 PDT 2004

Marvin Gandall wrote:
> Ravi wrote:
>
>> what do you mean by "asian"? chinese? indian? sri lankan? can you
>> give some examples of asian ghettos in the NYC/NJ area (which, if i
>> understand correctly, is the setting for 'the sopranos')?
>> chinatown in nyc? iselin in nj? jersey city?
>
> ---------------------------------- There are large Chinese, East
> Indian, Pakistani, and Vietnamese communities in Toronto, Vancouver,
> and Montreal and even in smaller Canadian cities like Ottawa, where I
> live. I'm sorry, but I don't know where recent Asian immigrants
> gravitate to in in the NYC area...

i do not see much sense in clubbing cultures and people as different as chinese and indians as "asian". asian indians in the NYC area tend to settle in jackson heights/astoria in queens, iselin/edison/piscataway in NJ, etc. i seriously doubt you will find a "sopranos" cast of characters in these "ghettos".

Carl Remick wrote:
>> From: ravi <gadfly at exitleft.org>
>>
>>> i have never seen an episode of 'the sopranos' and i do not plan
>>> to, ever...
>
> But you're really missing something by not seeing The Sopranos, which
> offers a real window on the American psyche. Tony Soprano is a man
> who can cycle from a narcissistic concern about his psychological
> well-being to strangling a man with his bare hands in just minutes.
> You realize that a society capable of producing so totally
> disoriented an individual would be perfectly capable of displaying
> the swings of behavior the US has -- wallowing in self-pity and
> seeking "closure" over 9/11 at one moment, tearing Iraq to shreds in
> a temper tantrum the next moment. The Sopranos is a scary show; the
> US is a scary country.

interesting points! (and thanks for the response). but is the character of tony soprano any different from that potrayed in earlier gangster/mob movies and shows? did michael corleone have two sides (and very similar to the ones above) too?

as for tony soprano, being a 'jain', ;-) i guess that explains the two sides to his personality, given the higher (imho, better) moral code of jainism!

--ravi