[lbo-talk] Americans bomb people, save pets

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Oct 7 10:30:25 PDT 2004

Doug:
> >> Afghan Cat-astrophe <<
> Americans bomb people, save pets
>
> While the Afghan people suffer in their
> bombed-out ruin of a country, American
> journalists and army personnel are spending
> thousands of dollars rescuing stray pets
> in Afghanistan and shipping them back
> to the US. (Even though this practice is
> banned by the US military.)
>
> For example, journalist Pamela Constable
> spent $700 on sending home a three-legged cat
> called Stumpy. And Major Susan Washington
> spent even more shipping home a black and
> white mongrel called Annie.
>
> "She enjoyed the Fourth of July fireworks
> immensely," said Washington. Because,
> of course, animals can be that patriotic.

Orwell made similar observations re. the British Empire, e.g. the following excerpt form his essay "Marrakech:":

"I was feeding one of the gazelles in the public gardens.

Gazelles are almost the only animals that look good to eat when they are still alive, in fact, one can hardly look at their hindquarters without thinking of mint sauce. The gazelle I was feeding seemed to know that this thought was in my mind, for though it took the piece of bread I was holding out it obviously did not like me. It nibbled rapidly at the bread, then lowered its head and tried to butt me, then took another nibble and then butted again. Probably its idea was that if it could drive me away the bread would somehow remain hanging in mid-air.

An Arab navvy working on the path nearby lowered his heavy hoe and sidled towards us. He looked from the gazelle to the bread and from the bread to the gazelle, with a sort of quiet amazement, as though he had never seen anything quite like this before. Finally he said shyly in French:

"_I_ could eat some of that bread."

Full text see http://www.george-orwell.org/Marrakech/0.html

Wojtek