[lbo-talk] Re: anti-gay marriage amendment in Michigan

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Oct 7 15:28:41 PDT 2004

>Dear List:
>Joel shared the following:
>>We have some incredible news to share with you today.
>Not incredible in the way they think, however.
>>The AFL-CIO has added a strong and powerful voice to the chorus of
>>those opposing to this poorly written and reckless amendment.
>Let's look at what was posted (not on the front page of the website,
>but near the bottom of a second page):
>"This constitutional amendment, if passed, would take away some of
>the bargaining rights of public employees."
>Translation: Hets may get hurt.
>"Currently many unions have bargained domestic partner benefits into
>their contracts. These benefits, including health insurance and
>pensions, covering both opposite and same sex partners and their
>children."
>Hets listed first.
>"The ballot language is overly broad and this proposed
>constitutional amendment takes benefits off the table. Public
>employees have seen a steady erosion of bargaining rights, items
>that can no longer be on the bargaining table and this proposal adds
>to the list."
>The amendment is bad because it hurts bargaining rights, not because
>it discriminates against queers. If you missed that point, the post
>concludes:
>"Futhermore, in Michigan gay marriage is already against the law."
>We are already screwing queers over, so what is the need for this
>amendment which might hurt hets.
>So much for the fantasy of supportive unions.
<snip>

By supporting John Kerry <http://www.dailykos.com/story/2004/2/10/4384/65428>, John Edwards, Barack Obama <http://www.365gay.com/newscon04/09/092604obama.htm>, etc. unconditionally, lots of queers have already sent a message to not only the Democratic Party but also to all Americans that they will *settle for far less* than the opposition to the anti-gay marriage/anti-domestic partnership initiative based on expediency (not justice) that the AFL-CIO managed to muster. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>