[lbo-talk] Americans bomb people, save pets

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Thu Oct 7 16:20:08 PDT 2004

At 12:48 PM 10/7/2004, Alan Jacobson wrote:
>Americans spend gazillions on pets that could be more
>productive spent on feeding the poor. I guess we're
>just heartless fucks.

Is this written tongue-in-cheek or do you think funds spent on animal companionship should all be diverted to feeding the poor? Is feeding the poor the responsibility of each of us individually or should it be tackled by a more systemic approach though government? Do you think I should have feelings of guilt for feeding my pets when I could divert those funds to feeding the poor? Since some of my pets are used for "Pet Therapy" where we visit children in hospital, nursing homes, shut-ins, prisoners etc. can this be used to alleviate the guilt I should experience spending money on them? If the comment was tongue-in-cheek then I won't concern myself but if not where does this logic take us?

John Thornton