[lbo-talk] Age

Seth Kulick skulick at linc.cis.upenn.edu
Thu Oct 7 19:59:55 PDT 2004

> Message: 9
> Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 18:54:17 -0400
> From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Age
> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org
>
> Jordan Hayes wrote:
>
> > > "One of Springsteen's best songs ...
> >
> >I'm not sure that's saying much.
>
> Thank you. What bombastic stuff he produces. It's no wonder Alterman
> loves him so.
>
> Doug

While bombastic is probably a reasonable description of most of Bruce's biggest hits over the years, there is much that he's done that cannot be described as bombastic. For example, since Rosalita was mentioned, the songs immediately before it (Incident on 57th Street) and after it (NYC Serenade) on the album it orginally appeared on are anything but bombastic (perhaps overly derivative of Van Morrison, though.) Or Nebraska or Tunnel of Love, two of my favorite Bruce albums.

But yes, it bothers me that Alterman is a Bruce fan. Same for Dave Marsh. And it really really bothers me that Bruce is apparently impressed by Greil Marcus. But hey, he's done a fine job lately pissing off his rightwing fans, so I'm not complaining. But what I don't get is these Bush-supporting Bruce fans who don't seem to get too upset when Bruce comes to Philadelphia and supports a group like Kensington Welfare Rights Union but then think he's crossed a line by his support for Kerry. He's become...non-partisan! It's just too weird.

Anyway, sorry, I usually just lurk, but some things demand a response.