[lbo-talk] capt kirk

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 8 09:15:11 PDT 2004

Kelley asked:

Wm Shatner's music is self-parody, right?

=========

Oh, I shouldn't know this and yet, I do.

No my friend, Shatner seems to take his efforts very seriously (though the people who produce it probably don't).

Consider...

A month ago I listened to Bill on the Stern show. He was promoting a new album of "musical concepts". Anyone familiar with Shatner knows what that means.

Howard agreed to play extended excerpts of "songs". Each track of the CD sampled revealed something more terrible than the previous clip.

Howard, assuming it was a joke, began dispensing an accurate critique. "Mr. Shatner, ummm, it's awful" he said.

Bill was obviously very hurt (Shatner's a "friend of the show" and a big Howard booster). It was clear he totally did not expect his work to be received with any other response but serious appreciation.

And it wasn't a pompous sort of hurt, a 'how dare you refuse to see my genius' vibe. No, it was more a 'I worked really hard on this and believe in it thoroughly' emotion that wafted through terrestrial radio to my ears.

Which made it sort of pathetic. Even Howard, not known for his fellow feeling, seemed to feel bad he honestly couldn't like it.

So, unlike his 23rd century alter ego, who calmly ordered the destruction of troublesome civilizations from the comfort of his button bedecked easy chair, Mr. Shatner's an old softy, dreaming of himself as an artist.

It's got to hurt; can't fit the groovy uniform anymore, too long in the tooth to convincingly chase the babes (even on camera) and now, dismissed as a non-talent in a chosen field.

.d.