[lbo-talk] Avoiding Bad Taste

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 8 11:31:50 PDT 2004

Is good taste politically incorrect? Snobbish? An indication of unjustified feelings of class superiority? Is it, in short, in bad taste to claim to have good taste?

I thought a lot of a liberal arts education was about the cultivation of good taste. Some of it is development of reasoning powers, some of it (a very small amount) conveying information. A lot more is socialization and Foucauldian normalization and ranking. A lot of is socialization, the opportunity to hang out, chase and bed your preferred objects of erotic desire, ingest your favorite intoxicants or stimulants. But at least ideally, isn't the education part of of it about being able to distinguish what's really good and appreciate why? For example, to be able to finally wrap one's head around various editions of Wordsworth's Prelude?

I sneer at Kenny G. I revere Duke Ellington -- I just received The Centennial Edition of the Duke, 24 discs, in the mail, I am going to have an orgy.

No, Justice Scalia, not that sort of an orgy. Though if you have some nice looking, open minded women in mind you can drop by with them, just ask your friends in FBI where you can find me. We met once, actually, not at an orgy, it was the 7th Circuit, but you wouldn't recall, since we all had our clothes on. I was thinking of a musical orgy. We could combine them, I suppose, I could not think of anyone I'd rather fuck to than Johnny Hodges.

Sorry, I wander. The point is, I don't think it is bad to have the equipment to know that the Duke is transcendent and Kenny G negligible. Even if you enjoy Kenny G now and then, which I don't, though I have other low tastes.

No, I wasn't thinking of orgies with right-wingers. Btw, Justice Scalia, I don't really care about the politics of your girlfriends if they don't care about mine; there was a libertarian babe who clerked with me on the 7C who was really hot, I wouldn't have held her right wing views against her at all.

No, the low tastes I was thinking of were things like, um, girl rock and pop from the late 50s and early 60s. Cheap mystery novels. Not John Grisham, that's going too far, Charles McCarry, maybe.

Anyway, taste isn't bad. I mean, good taste isn't bad. Bad taste isn't good, but that's not necessarily bad. I got it bad and that ain't good. Edward Kennedy Ellington, take it away.

jks