[lbo-talk] Sopranos

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Oct 8 14:59:01 PDT 2004

Just had a chat with my office neighbor, Larry Konner, who's written several episodes of The Sopranos, and was invovled with planning the broad "story arc" for the 3rd and 4th seasons. He says they don't intend to glorify the mob life, but you have to contend with the fact that anything that appears on the TV or movie screen tends to glorify whatever it depicts. Larry agreed with me that the whole thing is quite complicated - that you like a lot of the characters, and are shocked and troubled when they do horrible things.

One of the episodes he wrote was the one in which Carmella went to see a shrink on her own. The shrink, instead of taking the neutral line, tells her she's not merely an enabler, but is complicit in Tony's crimes, and she should take the kids & leave right away. Of course she goes right back to Tony. Some of the critics read this as addressed to the audience - you too are complicit by watching. The creators of the show didn't mean it that way, but apparently a lot of people took it that way.