[lbo-talk] Avoiding Bad Taste

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Fri Oct 8 17:08:11 PDT 2004

Chomsky, Estabrook, and Dawson share a particular view of what motivated US Cold War policy. I'm claiming their view is skewed.

-- Luke

You can't even get this right. We're not talking about the Cold War. We're talking about U.S. foreign policy stretching over 228 years. This policy has been to oppose potentially independent good examples within our spheres of influence. For anybody willing to look and think, this policy is proven by all the evidence you would ever want. The Cold War was merely one phase of its implementation.

Meanwhile, why, in your addled mind, did the United States overthrow Allende? Nixon and Kissinger knew he was not a Soviet agent. They worried that his model of development would work, and would be "insidious." Were they stoned and goofing around? Trying to show up the USSR only? If so, why the worry about precedent value?

Why did the U.S. oppose Ho Chi Minh in 1945? No Cold War existed then.

Why does the U.S. oppose Hugo Chavez now? The Cold War has been over for 13 years.

You depress me.