[lbo-talk] Al-Qaeda agents in Russia's Caucasus: FSB chief

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 9 07:22:29 PDT 2004

> Chris Doss wrote:
>
> >BTW Doug's recent interview with Lieven is good on
> >this subject.
>
> What'd you think of the rest of it?
>
> Doug

He's the expert, not me, but I think he ascribes too much clout to Maskhadov. Insofar as I understand the mood in Chechnya (that is, second- and third-hand filtered through lots and lots of reports), Maskhadov is considered to have completely failed to have established even the most rudimentary form on security in 1996-1999.

Here's an anecdote I read recently, ascribed to Malik Saidullaev, the uberrich Chechen businessman whose attempt to become president of Chechnya this year was derailed. It illustrates the condition Chechnya was in in those years. Maskhadov calls a government meeting to deal with the kidnap industry. There in the room are Basayev, Raduyev etc. "We need to crack down on kidnapping," says Maskhadov. Raduyev: "All right. I'm going to read out some names. If anyone hears his name, please leave the room." He reads out his list; a few people leave. "Everybody still in this room is involved in kidnapping. What are you going to do about it, Mr. President?"

===== Nu, zayats, pogodi!