[lbo-talk] Sopranos

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Oct 9 09:18:42 PDT 2004

Carl Remick wrote:

>That lost-in-the-woods episode is another of the all-time greats.
>Tony's henchmen Paulie and Chris take a Russian gangster (apparently
>a highly trained former commando) off into the woods to whack him.

An episode rich with New Jersey content. They're in the Pine Barrens in central Jersey, and they worry about being attacked by the "Jackson Whites." I have no idea who the Jackson Whites really are, but I grew up hearing about them as a horde of inbred hillbilly types who preyed on outsiders.

Hmmm, Bartleby <http://www.bartleby.com/65/ja/JacksoW.html> says the Jackson Whites inhabited the Ramapo Mtns of northwestern NJ, but that's not the legend I grew up with, nor is it the one Paulie & Chris are repeating.

Doug