[lbo-talk] Age

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sat Oct 9 13:28:50 PDT 2004

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004, joanna bujes wrote:

> Which is why the "progress" of having music available to everyone who
> has an electric plug has had a negative impact on the development and
> appreciation of music. I never learned a musical instrument myself. My
> parents' attitude was "If you're not Mozart, what's the point?" But I
> did spend fifteen years learning belly dance. At the end of that time,
> learning to move to the many, many layers of intricate rhythmical
> patterns that form middle-eastern/north-african music, "rock" is a
> threadbare creature. I still enjoy it, but keep wandering where the
> other layers are.
>
> Joanna

Why does music have to have intricate layers? There's nothing missing from a three-chord rock song like Louie Louie or a 12-bar blues song; granted, they're not intricate, rhymically layered musical compositions, but they're not missing something that should be there. (Isn't there something beautiful about the repetitive simplicity of a one-chord James Brown song that goes on for 8 minutes?)

Miles