[lbo-talk] Nader and his detractors

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sun Oct 10 21:22:18 PDT 2004

Dennis Redmond wrote: Shane Mage wrote:

> Dennis Redmond wrote:
>>...The danger with the Repugs in charge is that the
>>reaction to the meltdown will trigger a regional nuclear war -- an
>>invasion or attack on Iran....
>
> How can anyone say this with a straight face when it is
>Bougrelas (aka JFKerry) who right now is vociferously
>threatening war against Iran while Ubu (aka GBush jr,)
>is reduced to mumbling about how he had indeed included
>Iran in his "Axis of Weevils?" Of course they're both
>pathological liars and anything they say (except Freudian
>slips) can therefore not be used in evidence against
>them, but still....
>
>Noone's laughing in drenched-with-depleted-uranium-Fallujah. The psy-ops
>against Iran have been running full force -- articles in the press, the
>drum roll of talking heads, UN inspections, etc.

But the point is that it is *Bougrelas (aka JFKerry)* who is spearheading those "psy-ops against Iran." Nevertheless, the soaring price of oil militates strongly against their desire to commit a new aggression in the Middle East. It was the Iranian revolution that precipitated the 1979-1980 oil price explosion-- in a world economy that had much larger reserves and much slower growing demand than is the case in the pre-critical situation n ow prevailing. This article by Andrew McKillop is worth very careful attention:

VHeadline.com Venezuela

Venezuela's Electronic News -- <http://www.vheadline.com/> http://www.vheadline.com

Andrew McKillop: Energy transition and final energy crisis

<http://www.vheadline.com/readnews.asp?id=23067>http://www.vheadline.com/readnews.asp?id=23067

VHeadline.com oil industry commentarist Andrew McKillop writes: World commercial energy demand, overall, is well over 90% based on non-renewable and environmentally damaging fossil fuels (only 8% is hydropower based, while capital intensive nuclear power depends entirely on non-renewable uranium, thorium and other minerals).

The current ‘oil price crisis’ in reality reflects an emerging and permanent supply crisis for oil and gas (which currently provide about 65% of world commercial energy).

Initially, this will concern ever slower net additions of world production capacity in the face of strong demand growth, and will manifest itself as continued oil price rises, and continued gas price rises.

For oil, the myth of OPEC always being the ‘supplier of last resort’ has in 2004 already been discredited if not finally destroyed. Soon after the present and short-term ‘price crisis’ ... which can only intensify in the 2005-2008 period ... and within at most 10 years, both oil supply and natural gas supply will enter into constant and terminal decline, due to physical depletion....

...price crisis’ could occur at almost any time, especially due to further and more intense destabilization and conflict in the Middle East, or through stoppages, accidents, or weather-related damage to very large oil and gas production, refining or transport systems anyplace in the world. We can note that current oil prices, at around US$50/bbl, are in real terms equivalent to only about 60% of the peak price they briefly achieved in 1979-80, over 24 years ago....

...When or if Iran’s so-called illegal’ nuclear installations are of course surgically’ bombed by Israel or by US forces stationed in Iraq, another Iranian oil crisis, this time by Iranian embargo, would very surely and rapidly drive oil prices well beyond US$100/bbl....

...Andrew McKillop is a former expert-policy and programming, Division A-Policy, DG XVII-Energy, European Commission, founder member, Asian Chapter, Intl Assocn of Energy Economists. Currently in France he is available for consultation and research assignments. You may contact Mr. McKillop by email at <mailto:xtran04 at yahoo.com>xtran04 at yahoo.com

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things...It consents and does not consent to be called Zeus."

Herakleitos of Ephesos -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20041011/a53262ca/attachment.htm>