[lbo-talk] Al-Qaeda agents in Russia's Caucasus: FSB chief

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 11 03:54:12 PDT 2004

I wrote:

--- Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think that, among other things, the programme
> confuses nationality and physical location. The only
> Russian ethnic republics in which Russians are a
> minority of the population are Dagestan, Chuvashia
> and
> Tatarstan -- maybe also Ingushetia, I don't
> remember.
> Dagestan has 34 different ethnic groups. Chuvashia
> and
> Tatarstan are about 50% Chuvash and Tatar and about
> 50% other groups. How are the Tatars going to
> secede,
> assuming they even wanted to, which they don't,
> without ethnically cleansing the non-Tatars who
> don't
> want to? The population of Ukraine is about 40%
> non-Ukrainian. How could the "oppressed nationality"
> of Ukrainians secede without dragging the
> non-Ukrainians, mostly Russians, with them (as
> actually happened)? Chechnya was about 30%
> non-Chechen
> in 1991. Grozny was about 50%. The Nautsky District
> was 70% (!) non-Chechen.

I add:

BTW, according to the 1989 Soviet census, Chechens came to 57.82% of the population of Chechnya-Ingushetia, making them the largest ethnic group but not a large majority. Today, the non-Chechen population, not counting soldiers, is close to zero (you had to be ethnic Chechen or Ingush to be a citizen of "Free Ichkeria," and there was a great deal of seizure of property belonging to Russians, Ukrainians, etc. If you were a Jew, God help you.).

Ethnic composition of 'Chechnya-Ichkeriya' 1989

Chechenian 734501 57,82%

Russian 293771 23,12%

Ingushetian 163762 12,89%

Armenian 14824 1,17%