[lbo-talk] Re: Nader and his detractors

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Mon Oct 11 17:41:16 PDT 2004

You have to do more than Google. The question is when Kerry spoke of Retirement Savings Accounts in the past what did he mean and how is it different than what he says now? I cannot find any definition of the accounts he has spoken out in favour of in the past. He has no plan spelled out on his website and I have never seen any particulars on what he wants but he is the one who used the above term and I want to know what it means. I also think 401k's suck and are a backdoor way of supporting increased reliance on private retirement accounts. When he says people should "supplement" their SS with 401k's he is in essence saying that your retirement should be partly privatized. It does not take much to imagine an decrease in SS benefits paid out for later retirees with the idea that 401k's will "pick up the slack" Very different from Bush's position but not exactly a progressives dream or a complete refuting of private held retirement accounts. If you labeling me as an "anti-Kerry fundie" you are way off base and as far as research goes you have not shown me what Kerry meant by the term used above so you are showing me anything I don't already know. Go to issues2000.org (which incidentally was the first site listed when I googled the same four words) and you will read about Kerry supporting the idea of the above mentioned savings accounts but no definition. I have seen other references but again they have no definition. I would be happy as could be to find that they are a reference to an expansion of SS benefits for low income individuals but I don't know and apparently neither do you. I haven't exactly knocked myself out trying to locate it

John Thornton