[lbo-talk] Nader and His Detractors

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Oct 11 20:45:58 PDT 2004

>And if Kerry wins there will be a serious threat to social security.
>We can't depend on Monica any longer to save it.
>
>Carrol

I've talked about John Kerry and Social Security before: <http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20040301/005132.html> and <http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20040301/005154.html>.

Now, I'll let the Democrats speak for themselves -- here's what they got on their webpage about "Issue Contrast: Social Security and Medicare":

<http://www.democrats.org/ssm/contrast.html></blockquote>

When you see the terms "bipartisan," "reform," and "social security" combined into a proposal, whose details are apparently too terrifying to disclose to voters before the election day, you know what the working class are up against.

The only hope is that transition costs to full privatization of social security may be too high to win even elite consensus quickly and that combining the costly occupation and deadly counter-insurgency war in Iraq with too radical a "reform" of social security may be a little too much for even American workers. _Some_ kind of "bipartisan reform" is coming, though, for sure. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>