[lbo-talk] RE: Derrida dead

John Bizwas bizwas at lycos.com
Tue Oct 12 07:46:36 PDT 2004

CD:

> "Trace" is a Heideggerian term originally.
>
> I personally consider Derrida to be a footnote to the
> guy in the Schwarzwald. Did they ever meet?
>
> =====

As I believe is a form of the term 'deconstruction'.

To be sure, much of what Derrida wrote is rigourous philosophy in the phenomenological tradition (I was never really very clear on what US literature departments did with such philosophical texts, but I think it has more to do with DeMan and Barthes than Derrida). It's no great leap to go from Husserl to Heidegger to Derrida (by way of Freud and Foucault).

BTW, I would also opine that analytic philosophy gets to deconstruction as surely as the phenomenological tradition; it just took a while longer to realize it had got there.

Derrida was a truly interesting, original philosopher who should be read along side Foucault, Althusser, Deleuze, and Guattari.

-- _______________________________________________ Find what you are looking for with the Lycos Yellow Pages http://r.lycos.com/r/yp_emailfooter/http://yellowpages.lycos.com/default.asp?SRC=lycos10