[lbo-talk] All that is solid melts into air

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue Oct 12 07:52:51 PDT 2004

ANGER IN AMERICA: We asked; you answered

October 12, 2004

Why is America so angry?

. "You're hitting the nail on the head. ... The hideous traffic congestion is the single worst element of my, and many others', anger and discontent. ...

I am just as sick about going to" a grocery store "and having to deal with the damned U-Scan because they, like everybody else, have cut back on labor. ... Then, I resent having my 'data mined' with the masquerade of a customer 'care' card. ...

It's pretty simple: This country was based on 'You mind your business, and I'll mind mine,' but now everywhere you turn, there's a scam going down with the latest miracle drug, treatment, technological discovery designed to prolong life, love, happiness, sex-on-demand and access to your wallet." -- Tom Stevens, Canton

. "Americans are angry because Americans are stressed. (They) are driven by their desire to achieve the American Dream. The problem is, they keep falling short. Most view the American Dream in terms of wealth. ...

The reality is that very few Americans are actually that wealthy. But popular media oversaturate our minds with images of ... 'having it all,' which can result in inner turmoil for those of us who don't see through the smoke screen." -- Anita Lane, Detroit

. "Our rugged individualism is eroding our sense of community, our sense of compassion. 'We' has turned into 'me.' And the 'me,' feeling vulnerable and threatened, becomes defensive on every level. ...

We live in fear of dying from disease, auto accidents, assaults and maybe terrorist attacks.

We go through the motions, but we have forgotten how to live. We have made our lives more complicated than necessary and are afraid to admit it.

Most of all, we are afraid of change." -- Dolores Slowinski, Detroit

. "I think people are angry because we are always in a hurry now, with e-mail, instant messaging, cell phone calls and the proliferation of paper in a society trying to go paperless, which is even scarier, trying to keep track of information that may disappear.

Your time is not your own, so you hurry everywhere, and others whose paths you cross are seen as intruders in your space. People become angry that their space and speed are being invaded, interrupted or impeded. ...

We also have the sheer volume of ever-changing news. ... We have no peace." -- Susan Scharfenkamp, Troy

What do you think?

Many people say they feel so much daily stress and uncertainty about the future, it's easy to get mad. But there also are deep roots to anger, and sometimes, they reflect injustices that have never been resolved.

Does anyone have a right to be angry in America? Tells us what you think about that, or about our series, by e-mailing ourspirit at freepress.com or calling 313-222-1456.