[lbo-talk] Al-Qaeda agents in Russia's Caucasus: FSB chief

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Tue Oct 12 08:26:23 PDT 2004

Wojtek wrote:

> You start the thread on pen-l by questioning Ulhas's
> contention that 70 % of terrorists are outsiders, correctly pointing out
that
> the figure depends who is counting.

My figure was based on the accounts provided by independent observers. This was not based on the Indian government propaganda.

> By the same logic, "the original expression of the population" also
depends
> on who's counting, no? You have various groups claiming to represent "the
> people" and you may even have the majority of the people flip-flopping on
> what their stance is, depending who is asking, how the question is framed,
> and what else is going on in the world.

It also depends on how far back in the past you go. Do consider 1948 or 1976 or 1989 as the year of original expression?

> Do not get me wrong, I do not have any bias regarding the Kashmir
situation,
> mainly because I do not know much about the background of this conflict.

Two main issues with regard to the background are:

1. Was Kashmir's accession to India in 1947 legally valid?

2. How does one evaluate the Two Nation Theory (i.e. Hindus and Muslims are separate nations) and partition of India?

Ulhas