[lbo-talk] Neo-Cons Stoke Future Fires

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 14 07:08:50 PDT 2004

Inter Press Service News Agency POLITICS-U.S.:

Sidelined Neo-Cons Stoke Future Fires http://www.ipsnews.net/print.asp?idnews=25771

Analysis - By Jim Lobe

Sidelined by their failed predictions for Iraq and U.S. President George W Bush's efforts to reassure voters he is not a warmonger, prominent neo-conservatives and their Christian Right allies are nonetheless trying hard to prepare the ground for future U.S. adventures in the Middle East.

WASHINGTON, Oct 7 (IPS) - Echoing increasingly threatening noises from the government of Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon about preventing Iran from developing a nuclear weapon, neo-cons are calling for Washington to undertake covert action, at the very least, to oust what some of them call the ''terror masters'' in Tehran as part of a more general ''World War IV'' against alleged Arab and Islamic extremism.

Some neo-cons are even complaining that if Bush had been serious about the ''war on terrorism'', he should have taken on Iran after Afghanistan, rather than Iraq.

''Had we seen the war for what it was, we would not have started with Iraq, but with Iran, the mother of modern Islamic terrorism, the creator of Hezbollah, the ally of al-Qaeda, the sponsor of Zarqawi, the longtime sponsor of Fatah and the backbone of Hamas'', wrote part-time Pentagon consultant Michael Ledeen of the American Enterprise Institute (AEI) this week.

His article also reprised an argument he first made three years ago -- that the Iranian people were already rising up against the mullahs and needed only a little nudge from Washington to succeed.

[Hmmm... Didn't they say that about Iraq as well?]

http://www.ipsnews.net/print.asp?idnews=25771 ==============================================

Travus T. Hipp: Commentary From The Comstock Dispatch (NV)

Comchron 10/8/04 THE IRAN SCENARIO

The core question for the current generation of Americans is actually quite simple; Do we want to be the conquering army of Christian democracy around the world, beginning with the oil fields of the middle east or not. The plan for world conquest, as laid out in their own "Project for a New American Century" in 1996, called for a "Pearl Harbor" event to excuse the invasion of Iraq, followed by the overthrow of the mullahs in Teheran and the Iranian oil fields.

Now comes a conservative think tank , claiming that the Bush administration has a secret plan for an "October Surprise" featuring an Israeli attack on Iran's nuclear facilities, perhaps using a small nuclear weapon that can be blamed on the underground Persian weapons program that the U.S. claims exists, despite UN nuke inspectors denials.

The Iranian defense minister is aware of the plot, according to the think tankers, and has already announced that it will retaliate militarily if attacked, back in August.

The U.S. has declared that we will defend Israel, and the mullahs have replied that any American involvement will trigger an attack on coalition forces across the Euphrates in Iraq, and any such attack would, obviously, trigger a full scale war with Iran.

With overwhelming force from the sky in the form of smart bombs, laser guided rockets and munitions, followed up with helo and C-130 -gunship attacks against military concentrations, the Iran war could break the record for short time military engagements, set last year in Baghdad. The best part is we don't have to move in and occupy the country, which will be flooded with refugees and crippled by the bomb destruction of infrastructure. (Imagine Iraq without any Halliburton/ Bechtel re-construction program).

According to the conservative commentary, these military developments are scheduled for the next fortnight, creating a national security condition that triggers a provision of "Patriot I" postponing or canceling the November election at the order of the president, which may have been the plan from the front.

There are conspiracy theories every election year, usually after the fact, as in the Iranians releasing the hostages at the moment Ronald Reagan was sworn in, and George H.W. Bush's secret flight to Paris to cut the deal, but this time we get a preview of coming attractions. if you can believe the far right fringe reporting.

At least we'll know the truth of it within the next three weeks.

------- 30 ----- Reposted with Permission Copyright Cabale News Service 2004

Listen to Travus T. Hipp: 7, 8, and 9 am Pacific time M-F www.kpig.com (RealNetworks basic RadioPass req'd) Website ->> http://fatchance.org/travus/ =================================