[lbo-talk] Moolade

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Oct 15 04:32:47 PDT 2004

On Tue Oct 5, andie nachgeborenen said in passing:

> Actually, really good didactic art is hard to find.

I'm not sure that's true. Historically speaking, almost all Western painting was didactic for centuries. Paradise Lost is certainly didactic and great. And there are hundreds of great didactic films.

Apropos, I just saw a wonderful film last night that is completely didactic and at the same time a tremendous drama: _Moolade_, by Ousmane Sembene. It's about indigenous resistance to female genital mutilation, it's just as tendentious as it sounds, and it's extremely rich and satisfying. I highly recommend it. He's probably Africa's most eminent filmmaker, and as far as I'm qualified to judge, this is the best film he's made. In may not last long in the theatres and it's worth catching.

Michael