[lbo-talk] Golden age of satire?

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 16 08:59:51 PDT 2004

>>From: "Michael Dawson" <MDawson at pdx.edu>
>>
>>Parker and Stone have said they would be Republicans, if they cared about
>>politics. They are mostly just nihilists.

[I just read Roger Ebert's review, and he agrees with that:]

... If I were asked to extract a political position from the movie [Team America], I'd be baffled. It is neither for nor against the war on terrorism, just dedicated to ridiculing those who wage it and those who oppose it. The White House gets a free pass, since the movie seems to think Team America makes its own policies without political direction.

I wasn't offended by the movie's content so much as by its nihilism. At a time when the world is in crisis and the country faces an important election, the response of Parker, Stone and company is to sneer at both sides -- indeed, at anyone who takes the current world situation seriously. They may be right that some of us are puppets, but they're wrong that all of us are fools, and dead wrong that it doesn't matter.

<http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041014/REVIEWS/40921007/1023>

Carl