[lbo-talk] Golden age of satire?

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Sat Oct 16 13:40:40 PDT 2004

Carl Remick wrote:

> At this point, the Lord of the Rings itself makes me cringe. But as for
> morality, I favor simple guidelines: right = evil; left = good.

A moral schemata taken... right out of Tolkien's playbook. The Left has to push beyond moral categories, because every moral category turns, at its outer limit, into a property-claim, and ultimately into a confirmation of the commodity form we thought we were resisting. Imperial ownership is nine-tenths of all American morality.

-- DRR