[lbo-talk] The 'Al Qaeda' Industry

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 17 10:11:53 PDT 2004

--- Michael Dawson <mdawson at pdx.edu> wrote:

>So I suppose that school attack in Russia was a
>hoax, and that Pakistan is
>the land of calm secular democracy? What a dumb
>story.

I think you are misunderstanding the point of the story. Who suggested that the school attack was a hoax? that's a bit of a leap.... The point is not that radical Islamists are not engaged in all sorts documented activity. The point is that the construct of Al Qaeda is amorphous and not clearly defined and an Orientalist 'industry' has developed around it. What is the clear connection between Zarquawi, Bin Laden, the Chehens, Moslems in Cape Town and Sudan and Zanzibar, Arab radicals in Paraguay and Ecuador, Moslems in the Balkans and China, the PLO etc. - the point is that there isn't and the 'war on terror' is predicated on the assumption that this is one large integrated entity.

Joe W.