[lbo-talk] Anyone see Jon Stewart on Crossfire?

Sean Johnson Andrews sean.andrews2 at verizon.net
Fri Oct 15 23:16:11 PDT 2004

Not only was this a media event in the terms of its text, i.e what was said, but it seems that many people also felt it was significant in a wider, cultural way. In addition to the posts of movie links I received from CULTSTUD and LBO (below), I was tying to find the links myself and there were extensive discussions in several places with a context to see who could get a full clip of the exchange online with the new P2P software (http://bittorrent.com/). The two biggest converstions I came across were on MetaFilter and DailyKos--logical places for it to appear. But these were already linked to several others including one on the DU and I am sure I could have found many more--all with hundreds of comments already. And the transcript is already linked to major blogs like Wonkette, atrios, and Andrew Sullivan (though they don't seem "subversive" enough to link to the video) and I have mostly stopped looking. This could be a major news story by morning (Washington Post already h! as a stor.

Perhaps I am just too impressed with the exchange itself to think objectively or just up too late on a Friday night to not be overwhelmed by the otherwise mundane, but this was seems something that has struck a chord--and it seems a unique way that television is functioning via the internet. How many of these clips, I wonder, were authorized by the network from which they were taken? I am rarely up goofing around online like this and also find it amazing that all of these people have been staying up, commenting, and diligently trying to exchange this clip like some sort of totem. Does anyone else find this unique in the response and practices surrounding it or do I just happen to have more time on my hands this evening to notice? Just wondering...

best, sean

Sean Andrews Cultural Studies Program George Mason University

FROM CULT STUD ----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael D. Giardina" <giardina at uiuc.edu> Date: Saturday, October 16, 2004 1:11 am Subject: Re: [cultstud-l] crossfire - video clip now available

----- Original Message ----- From: "snit snat" <snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org>; <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Saturday, October 16, 2004 1:09 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Anyone see Jon Stewart on Crossfire?