[lbo-talk] Class Action: The Million Worker March, October 17

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Oct 18 08:49:33 PDT 2004

Doug wrote:
>Yoshie Furuhashi quoted:
>>The Black commentator
>
>Who, by the way, thinks that voting for Kerry is an imperative,
>expressed in very very strong terms
><http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Radio.html#040930>.

To their credit, though, that didn't muzzle the BC criticism of John Kerry, Barack Obama, and the Democratic Party in general, much less make them apologize for them.

BTW, even though the Million Worker March organizers are critical of the Democratic Party (e.g., <http://www.pressaction.com/news/weblog/full_article/tyner10152004/>), the march's demands read more like the program of a political party than the slogans of a demonstration, and both the Green Party and the Nader/Camejo campaign endorsed the Million Worker March, the march organizers didn't cross the Rubicon and explicitly come out in support of the Green Party or Nader/Camejo or any new political party on the left. They chose to assert independent political action on the social movement front, not on the electoral front.

Doug wrote;
>The first time, external conditions were about as unfavorable as you
>could imagine. This time, the organizers themselves assured a tiny
>turnout by picking a date less than twenty days before the election.

Do you mean to say that all activists who failed to show up in D.C. on October 17, 2004 were out there knocking on the doors or working the phone banks or doing something else in get-out-the-vote efforts? (How about you?) I rather think that the majority of them neither attended the Million Worker March nor were involved in any activity on the electoral front on October 17 -- they were simply demobilized, as they had been for quite some time.

>As for the black-led thing, on Nov 2, African Americans will vote in
>huge numbers for Kerry.

How many people of _any_ color would vote for Kerry if the Kerry campaign, the Democratic Party, and allied non-profits could spend only a couple of tens of thousands of dollars (like the Million Worker March) or $100,000 (like Cobb/LaMarche) or even a million dollars or so (like Nader/Camejo), instead of a quarter of a billion dollars? -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>