[lbo-talk] Bush backs Kerry

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 18 14:00:15 PDT 2004

Cleveland Plain Dealer:

"This was when the old man was president," recalls Bush. He was driving his new truck, which had a 30-day tag in the window, and going "41 or 42" in a 35-mph zone on Ohio 303.

The officer stopped him and walked over to the truck. The conversation, as Bush remembers it, went like this:

"What's your name?" "George Bush." "What's your name?" "George Bush." "You stay right here." Seconds later, another police car, sirens roaring and lights flashing, arrived. "You'd have thought that I just robbed a bank," says Bush. Now it was two cops asking questions. "What's your name?" "George Bush." "We'll ask you one more time, what's your name?" "George Bush." "Can we see your driver's license?" "Well, it's about time!" Bush says the officers let him go, but when he asked for an apology, they refused.

[Heh Heh Heh] http://www.cleveland.com/printer/printer.ssf?/base/news/1098102599239390.xml Bush backs Kerry (well, in one place in Ohio, anyway) Monday, October 18, 2004 John Campanelli Plain Dealer Reporter

George Bush is voting for John Kerry. John Kerry is undecided, but leaning toward, well, John Kerry. John Edwards has John Edwards' vote, and Dick Cheney is going to punch the ballot for Dick Cheney. Kerry Edwards has thrown support behind Bush- Cheney.

Before your head explodes, here's the catch: The George Bush supporting Kerry is George D. Bush, a pipe fitter from Brunswick. John Kerry is a 33-year-old electrical designer in Lorain. John Edwards is a substitute teacher from Sheffield Lake. Dick Cheney sells security systems in Geneva; and Kerry Edwards, of Wellington, spent 25 years working at a chemical plant.

They are the folks who are lucky enough (or cursed enough) to have the same names as the guys campaigning for our nation's top offices. And it hasn't been easy for them. "I've been getting it ever since his old man was vice president," says Bush. "It's been a pain."

Mostly it's just wisecracks, snickers and raised eyebrows. Kerry's co-workers have started calling him "Sen. Kerry." Bush's friends call him "The Prez." Cheney says, "People can't believe that Dick Cheney is sitting in front of them." [...]