[lbo-talk] more polling stuff

paul childs npchilds at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 19 12:10:11 PDT 2004

>>CB: Do I understand things correctly that nonetheless, these pollsters did
>>not change their methodology in this election season, despite the fact that
>>it was clearly wrong and misleading before the last election ?
>Let's be fair: we need to compare polls closer to election day to
>the actual outcome to assess the accuracy of the polls. Cue Doug?

Or how about an object case in point on polling errors; Edmonton municipal election results from last night.

The winnah? By a significant plurality? The guy who consistently finished third (and way third) in pre-election polls. Not one poll put him first or second. Check out:

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmontonjournal/news/election/index.html

Suspect there's a fair bit of head scratching at polling firms this a.m., partially because of the order of the results, but also because the last 2 weeks all we heard was the race was 'too close to call' between the other two guys, one of whom (Noce) got his ass badly kicked.

But I don't think this means Nader stands a chance.Just sign me up as a meddlesome Canuck ABB'er.

PC

N P Childs

'I'm Mister Bad Example, the stranger in the dirt, I like to have a good time and I don't care who gets hurt'.

-Mr. Bad Example, W Zevon