[lbo-talk] Clarence Thomas

Brad Mayer gaikokugo at fusionbb.net
Thu Oct 21 00:20:38 PDT 2004

This goes for the march in NYC as well, not only a pro-Kerry rally, but worse, a reactionary Nader-bashing rally as well.

No, (Mr. Lacey) we won't stay in our narrow predesignated working class ghettoes, we will enter into the broader political arena, we won't respect the sign that says, "Keep Out: Property of the American Bourgeoisie":

http://www.pressaction.com/news/weblog/full_article/tyner10152004/

Q: Very often when large mobilizations gain enough momentum, respectability, visibility, they are co-opted by Democratic Party officials or labor officials. We saw this happen recently with the women's march.

CT: That turned out to be a disaster, because as you well know, it became a cheerleading rally for Kerry, as opposed to an opportunity for independent action in defense of reproductive rights. There were over a million people there but it turned into a "Vote for Kerry" event. The Million Worker March is not going to be a one-time feel-good session. We are going to put forward a platform of demands for people to take away from the march. It's important that we be able to organize people and move them from where they are to where we want them to go. There're not going to be any politicians up on that stage. That's critical. This is not about them, and not about Bush or Kerry. It is about the system and it is about working people. The voices at our march are going to be diverse and they will be speaking to the class nature of the struggle, to the things binding us together, as workers, no matter what our backgrounds.