[lbo-talk] JDK runs on FreeBSD!!!

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Thu Oct 21 14:45:59 PDT 2004

Ravi...

I got JDK1.3.1 and JRE to compile, install, and run on FreeBSD 4.2!!!! It only took a full day and half...

It isn't a full blown programmer's development environment, but it is enough to code, compile and run elementary programs, use the appletviewer or netscape to see the examples from `Object-Oriented Programming in Java', M. Wait--supplied by the book's CD. I just tested it out.

Last week I had install the text cd on the Win95 drive and worked away for a few days and got so disgusted with myself for using Win95, that I decided to go back and try to find a JDK that would work on BSD.

So, I just got a JDK up on BSD and copied the old program examples over from the Win95 disk. Then on BSD I ran `javac <xxx.java>' and got it to compile to <xxx.class>. Running the JRE appletviewer does its thing and there is the applet!

It might not be what you are looking for but it might help get there. Here's how:

1. go here and read:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/java-tomcat/

2. Sun's download directories have changed so look around to find the

EXACT NAME:

j2sdk-1_3_1j2sdk-1_3_1_10-linux-i586.bin

This is in the archive section. You'll get to a pull down button to

select the various versions j2jdk1.3.x Choose 1.3.1_10 Also

somebody mislabeled the last part of the filename

linux-i586.bin. NOTE the i586. Use it.

3. There is another file to retrieve from Sun that's in a slightly

different location. You have to login and sign a bunch of bullshit

to get it:

j2sdk-1_3_1-src.tar.gz

3. Follow the directions in the article about putting everything in

the /usr/ports/distfiles directory. Then go to

/ports/java/sun-linux-jdk1.3.1 directory and do `make install'

I got errors relating to some ln --h link command in one of the scripts,

so I cleaned and redid with `make -i' where -i means ignore minor

bullshit errors.

4. Remember to modify your PATH command in .profile and setenv in

.shrc. The specifics about what, are in /usr/local/sun-linux-jdk1.3.1

under README.html. There is probably a way to set up sym or hard links

between this directory and the main /usr/bin so that the whole

system can use jdk, but I don't know how to do that. I suspect my

`make' file error codes about `ln --h' might have done that.

I still have one problem which is I can't print directly from the appletviewer. Probably a permissions issue, or another of those mysterious links I ignored. At the moment that is trival problem since I can run the applet in Netscape and print from there.

This is very cool. Sorry LBO'ers, I just had to tell somebody...

I know, I know this and ten bucks gets me two Cappuccinos at the Med, where I can treat some homeless guy and he will listen..

CG