[lbo-talk] Re: JDK runs on FreeBSD!!!

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Thu Oct 21 19:51:00 PDT 2004

So how do you think this will affect the election? JB

-----------

It will absolutely guaranty a Kerry victory. The Bush regime is outta here.

I discovered this, when I opened xemacs to write my first all BSD platform java program just a few minutes ago. I started xemacs with a file named Arithmetic.java. The xemacs menu bar changed to list:

File Edit Apps Options Buffers Tools Java

Wooo, I thought. Then xemacs proceeded to auto indent, match brackets and braces. When I finished, I picked compile under `Tools' typed in `javac -g' and boom. A ton of typo errors came up in the second text window. I corrected them, and re-compiled. Cool. Then I started a new file named `Arithmetic.html'.

Boom, xemacs generated a blank page where I typed in the <applet code="...">..</applet> part, saved, picked netscape under HTML menu bar and boom again. There was the applet running in netscape.

Here is the html page xemacs generated:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html>

<head>

<title>Arithmetic.html</title>

</head>

<h1>Arithmetic.html</h1>

<applet code="Arithmetic.class" width=400 height=300></applet>

<hr>

...is that not cool or what?

So if xemacs can do all that, well I just assume it will defeat Bush as part of the hidden extras packed away in

~/local/lib/xemacs-21.1.12/...

There's all kinds of shit down in the xemacs and emacs directory trees. Personally I rarely go down there, so who knows... There could be a defeat_bush.el package in there somewhere. I've found all kinds of stuff including pictures of weird looking developers. Go here and see:

~/local/lib/xemacs-21.1.12/etc/photos

Drag one of these personalities over to the xv viewer and see.

Kyle.png for example is a picture of girl, but I remember Kyle (awesome) from the xemacs newsgroups---and while it may be Kyle is cute and about twenty, I seriously doubt it. My guess is Kyle is mid-forties, pot belly, bald, bad breath, married-divorced, a couple of weirdo kids, maybe a old dog who lived through it all, eats potato chips for breakfast, cold pizza for dinner.... all the usual signs of serious comp.sci.dementia, certified member of the X-files Lone Gunmen. Drives an early 70s VW van with rusted out side panels and see-through floor...

CG