[lbo-talk] registering in Florida

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Fri Oct 22 06:14:37 PDT 2004

The LA Times has a run-down of everything on the dirty-tricks front in Florida and elsewhere:

<http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/2004/la-na- hood22oct22,1,2094887.story?coll=la-home-headlines>

On Oct 21, 2004, at 4:35 PM, snit snat wrote:

> Oh. now they're reporting that there are some scams going on.
>
> 1. someone comes to your home with a laptop, letting you vote on the
> laptop so you don't have to vote on site anywhere.
>
> 2. people masquerading as County employees, offering to bring your
> ballot in.

I think that all of this monkeying around with voting methods we're seeing (mail voting, early voting, voting with every conceivable type of gizmo) is probably heading directly toward a mass revulsion right after this election. People in many parts of the country will be hopping mad about all this confusion and actual or alleged fraud, and the legitimacy of the result of the election will be questioned even more widely than in was in 2000, unless the winner wins walking away. (And maybe even then.)

Perhaps a useful campaign to start, in the midst of this likely furor, would be one to clean up the whole election process: 1) abolish the Electoral College; 2) set uniform methods for registration and voting nationwide; 3) abolish all voting methods which can be tampered with because they have no audit trail; 4) introduce some sort of proportional representation and other such reforms. There has to be a frank recognition that the whole suffrage mechanism in the Land of the Free is broken down and has to be rebuilt.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A gentleman haranguing on the perfection of our law, and that it was equally open to the poor and the rich, was answered by another, 'So is the London Tavern.' -- "Tom Paine's Jests..." (1794); also attr. to John Horne Tooke (1736-1812) by Hazlitt