[lbo-talk] Zogby & the pollsters club

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Fri Oct 22 06:54:37 PDT 2004

Also, housewives and retirees are mostly working class.

CB

^^^^^

From: Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>

Which reminds me of something that occurred to me when the topic of Zogby's methodology first came up. One of the reasons that other pollsters question Zogby is that he does 30% of his interviews before 5:30 PM:

>[lbo-talk] NH: graveyard of pollsters (and Zogby's questionable rep)
>Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
>Fri Jan 23 12:14:02 PST 2004
<snip>
>Washington Post - January 23, 2004
>New Hampshire: Graveyard of Pollsters
>By Richard Morin and Claudia Deane
>Washington Post Staff Writers
<snip>
>Zogby also calls people during the day as well as in the evening.
>About 30 percent of his interviews are collected before 5:30 p.m.
>Daytime interviews are great if you want to talk to lots of retirees
>and housewives. But his critics charge that they're not so good if
>you want to interview working men and women. Zogby counters that
>daytime interviewing actually produces a more representative sample
>because he can talk to people who work at night.

I thought that collecting 30% of opinions before 5:30 PM might allow Zogby to capture working-class opinions more accurately than doing all interviews later, as many working-class people do not have the 9-5, M-F schedule and work night shifts or odd hours. (My partner's work hours are 1-10 PM, T-S, for instance, so pollsters who want to know his opinions need to call him in the morning.)

Yoshie