[lbo-talk] JDK runs on FreeBSD!!!

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Fri Oct 22 13:33:57 PDT 2004

Chuck Grimes wrote:

> I got JDK1.3.1 and JRE to compile, install, and run on FreeBSD 4.2!!!!
> It only took a full day and half...

awesome, dude! ;-)

> It isn't a full blown programmer's development environment, but it is
> enough to code, compile and run elementary programs, use the
> appletviewer or netscape to see the examples from `Object-Oriented
> Programming in Java', M. Wait--supplied by the book's CD. I just
> tested it out.

the one thing i had difficulty with was getting the JVM integrated into mozilla. your experience with netscape is encouraging! i would be using it mostly for web applets, since i am too old to be programming in java ;-).

> 3. Follow the directions in the article about putting everything in
> the /usr/ports/distfiles directory. Then go to
> /ports/java/sun-linux-jdk1.3.1 directory and do `make install'
>
> I got errors relating to some ln --h link command in one of the scripts,
> so I cleaned and redid with `make -i' where -i means ignore minor
> bullshit errors.

probably a gnu (binutils) 'ln' arg...

thanks for the detailed note, btw! now if only we could get all the left-leaning LBO members to adopt open source:

support the spread firefox newspaper ad campaign:

https://www.mozillastore.com/donations/?campaign=newspaper&user=1 http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=node/view/3749

--ravi