[lbo-talk] Virtually all Dems support Card Check Bill

Gregory Geboski greg at mail.unionwebservices.com
Fri Oct 22 22:10:25 PDT 2004

<< wouldn't bet my house on internal AFL-CIO data, gregory. >>

These data, I would. I heard it at a no-bullshit pre-election strategy meeting. The folks presenting the data were all but apologizing for the dumb white guys.

All demographic elements held equal, union members are well to the left of their non-union analogs in the general population. The problem isn't internal union political consciousness. It's the decline of union membership as a whole. The attack on labor pushes

the country as a whole to the right.

Republicans are being smart when they set out to destroy organized labor.

Sorry, I tend to see all this as obvious.

<< while we're on the subject of democrat support for labor, >>

I wasn't. I was on the subject of union support for Democrats.

<< i wonder what the democrats plan to do about ... >>

Making predictions about how professional politicians will act on matters of "principle" is usually pretty useless, in my view. One would expect that how Democrats act with respect to labor will reflect the power of organized labor.

Again, sorry, but obvious to me.

It also reflects the power of the Republicans; their take-no- prisoners approach gives Dems little choice. (As it does for labor. The old labor gambit of backing a Republican who will do what you want is dead, dead, dead.) Believe it or not, the Dems may actually begin to realize that they can't forever keep screwing their closest allies. Have they reached that point? Maybe not. Will they? Maybe too many of them are as dumb as they seem. But I generally give US politicians high marks for sniffing out political reality. Desperation should help, too.

There is no Eternal Democrat. They exist in history. Really.

---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- From: "R" <rhisiart at charter.net> Reply-To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 21:31:58 -0700