[lbo-talk] Virtually all Dems support Card Check Bill

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 24 05:10:19 PDT 2004

Dawson fulminates idiotically about stuff he doesn't know, yet again:

> So the hotel maids pay the same dues as the
> $50,000/year teachers and auto assemblers.
> Lovely stuff there.

Dawson, you are really a first-class fool. I know of no individual workers who pay dues to the AFL-CIO. I hereby challenge you to name some. It is impossible to have an intelligent discussion with someone who willfully refuses to deal with basic facts.

Hotel workers pay dues to their local unions of HERE (not UNITE HERE), which in turn are part of their international unions. Each union has its own dues structure. It is their locals and the international who pay per-caps to the AFL-CIO. Needless to say, that would change if UNITE HERE pulled out of the AFL-CIO -- which, as anyone who is actually paying attention knows, is a distinct possibility. Sliding-scale per-caps may indeed be part of the list of reforms that some of the restive AFL-CIO affiliates want at some point in the future, but if so, they're part of a long list that includes many other things.

And if people want to criticize the AFL-CIO's political program, I have no beef with that -- provided, of course, that people actually know what they are talking about. Since Dawson does not even appear to know what the AFL-CIO is, I am not interested in discussing these issues with him, only in upbraiding him for his loudmouth, know-it-all idiocy regarding stuff he obviously knows nothing about.

- - - - - John Lacny http://www.johnlacny.com

People of the US, unite and defeat the Bush regime and all its running dogs!