[lbo-talk] Russian presidential aide says war not best option to solve Chechen problem

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 24 10:06:40 PDT 2004

BBC Monitoring Russian presidential aide says war not best option to solve Chechen problem Source: Chechenskoye Obshchestvo e-mail version, Groznyy, in Russian 18 Oct 04

War is not the best option to resolve the Chechen problem, the Russian president's advisor for the south Russia, Aslanbek Aslakhanov, has said. He believes that negotiations should be held with rebel leader Aslan Maskhadov, given that Maskhadov is viewed as the former president of Chechnya. Aslakhanov complained that he had little contact with the Chechen government and mainly dealt with the problems of ordinary people who appealed to him personally. The following is an excerpt from Timur Aliyev's report by Chechen newspaper Chechenskoye Obshchestvo e-mail version on 18 October headlined "Aslanbek Aslakhanov: President should serve people, not clans"; subheadings have been inserted editorially:

After last year's refusal to run for president of the republic, the police general and former deputy of the State Duma of the Russian Federation, Aslanbek Aslakhanov, was appointed a Russian presidential assistant. His duties included giving advice to [Vladimir] Putin on issues related to the south of Russia. After the presidential election in Russia held in March this year, Aslanbek Aslakhanov became Putin's advisor.

[Correspondent Timur Aliyev] Aslanbek, what kind of activity are you engaged in currently? Are you doing something specific for Chechnya?

[Aslanbek Aslakhanov] In accordance with my functional duties, I am dealing with the problems of the whole of the south Russia: territories, regions and republics. The president has told me to pay special attention to the Chechen Republic. I actually provide humanitarian and financial aid to Chechnya (I am in charge of medical treatment, students and problems emerging outside the republic). I am also approached with complaints on lawlessness.

[Correspondent] What are the procedures?

[Aslakhanov] I am contacted directly. Letters are sent to me and I pay a visit. Every month I visit Chechnya. But frankly speaking, we have no contacts with the authorities... [ellipses as given]

[Passage omitted: minor details]

When I write letters, for example, when someone appeals to me concerning allowances, I do not get any reply, they ignore the law. And first of all it is certain [Sergey] Abramov, who considers himself to be the prime minister of the republic.

"I will support any person who is ready to help people"

[Correspondent] How real are your possibilities?

[Aslakhanov] They are great. But the authorities of the republic consider it to be degrading to counsel me, talk to me and approach me. I repeatedly invited Abramov to call on me and talk about a mechanism of restoration of the republic's economy and social sphere. But he is, probably, afraid to come to me without agreeing it with someone. Therefore communication between us is one-sided.

Nevertheless, it does not mean that I am not dealing with the Chechen problem. I am completely involved in it and local residents can prove this. They write me a lot and I always do whatever I can.

Chechnya is my main issue, and it was, is and will be irrespective of which clans will be there in this republic.

[Correspondent] What contacts do you have with the new leadership, the new president?

[Aslakhanov] I never met the first prime minister of Chechnya. I meet the [incumbent] prime minister at various meetings. For example, we met a couple of times at meetings chaired by [Russian Economic Development Minister German] Gref. But usually we just exchange greetings.

I have met the new president of Chechnya. He was at a meeting with the [Chechen] community in Moscow. I told him then that I was ready to help serve the people but not serve a clan. And I called on others to help the new president. Because, if he is elected, we must help him.

But I have never helped anybody serve corporate interests, his company or clan. The most important thing for me is the interests of the people. The people who have been sacrificed, who are suffering, who are being unscrupulously robed and whose name is used by some people to do their dirty businesses.

I will support any person who is really ready to help the people.

[Correspondent] What is your vision of political future of Chechnya? Will the new president manage to become the leader whom he declares he is?

[Aslakhanov] When [Alu] Alkhanov made the uneasy decision to run for the president of the Chechen Republic he held many meetings in which he presented a clear-cut program. He said that he would persistently follow the path of implementing this program. If he goes this way, then he will enjoy support of people both in the republic and outside it. It is simply necessary not to stray from the path.

[Passage omitted: Aslakhanov on Alkhanov's inauguration, Beslan]

Military solution is not best option

[Correspondent] What is your attitude towards negotiations with [rebel President Aslan] Maskhadov? Are they possible?

[Aslakhanov] I have always been ready to make compromises. I do not think that a military solution is the best option. We are humans, God created us and gave us wisdom. We should negotiate. I have spoken to the president on more than one occasion and wrote him about the need to talk to Maskhadov. He told me that Maskhadov did not keep his words. The president asked me whether [field commander Shamil] Basayev was subordinate to Maskhadov and whether he was in his team. If not, then why Maskhadov cannot declare publicly that Basayev is a so-and-so, that he breaks off any relationship with him and [killed Chechen warlord] Khattab, and that they are enemies of the Chechen people. Can he do that?

We passed this message on to Maskhadov several times. But unfortunately, he never did so. Nevertheless, I continued to hold talks with him and the parliament.

Apart from this, he had an excellent opportunity during Nord-Ost [Moscow theatre siege in October 2002] to make them leave the scene, at least on board planes and with hostages. But Maskhadov did not do that. He then had an opportunity to publicly curse Basayev and others, saying that they were a disgrace to the nation. But he did not do that either.

This time we did not have to look for him - via Zakayev, he was told to come to Beslan. He did not come. He said he would call back but he did not.

This is what he is blamed for. Maskhadov is bargaining while something like this is taking place. Why? He did not condemn Basayev, he did not tell him: "We declare war on you because you are a disgrace to the nation, because of you the whole world is cursing us." Maskhadov himself is not trying to meet us halfway.

[Correspondent] But after Beslan, Maskhadov said that Basayev should be put on trial?

[Aslakhanov] He even demoted him to private. But we have already seen this. On the other hand, there should not be dispute over negotiations with the president of the Republic of Ichkeria since we know that the referendum [on whether the Chechen people want to stay within the Russian Federation or want to be a separate state] was valid. He cannot be viewed as the head of state now but only as the former president.

[Passage omitted: Maskhadov is a good commander]

Some rebels can be pardoned

They say that all Wahhabis should be killed. I do not think so. They are the same boys who grew up before our eyes. Simply, no-one taught them anything. They did not have any jobs. But Wahhabi ideologists were well-prepared. Their arguments and assistance had an influence on these guys. Therefore, they have become what they are. Therefore, those of them who did not cut off someone's head or kill somebody can be and must be returned to peaceful life.

But there are people who do not deserve to live in this world. They have committed a whole host of crimes and terrorist attacks, so they understand very well themselves that they should not live in this world. They are doing their best to make this slaughter to go on. Committing bloodshed and murder is their normal state. This is their lifestyle and they do not know anything else. It is useless to talk to them - they should either be in prison or killed in war.

But we have to fight for the others. They should know that there is room for them in peaceful life and that they can return there. Those who want will go to school, create families, have children. When these guys understand that they are needed, that society and the government have not rejected them, then it will be easier. Because it is not the children of those who called for independence but the children of the poorest families who have fought this war. It is their graves that are abundant in our villages.

Unemployment engenders crime

[Correspondent] Do you have a plan on how to improve the situation in the republic?

[Aslakhanov] Not only in Chechnya, but also in neighbouring Dagestan, Karachay-Cherkessia and other republics there are many people who are ready to commit a crime because they are men. In accordance with the traditions of highland people, men have to support the family. But if he has to live on allowances that his old parents receive, he feels degraded. So, when he is offered money, he goes and commits a crime. But if he has a job, he will tell this "well-wisher" to get off and that he has to support his family.

Therefore, we should not build "Potemkin villages", but to create jobs immediately. Let's say assembly plants where no high proficiency or new technologies are required, or brickyards or asphalt plants, shops for producing window frames and doors.

The reconstruction programme should include the restoration of roads and hospitals. Not just haphazard work, but normal work meeting up-to-date standards. That is to say, quite a different approach is needed to the restoration of the economy and social sphere of the republic. The combination of these all can bring peace sooner than any other plans.

What is more important, there will be no peace in the republic until those who have made a career at the expense of blood, suffering and humiliation are removed in the republic. There should be only those who have not been stained by blood, those who know and observe customs and traditions of the nation.

There should be a staff rotation at the highest level. Those who need to be removed should be identified and put on trial. They should not sit at dachas in Moscow Region, Rostov or Krasnodar, they should be in prison. Many who left for Russia and Europe dream about coming back. But they will not return until the current system exists in the republic. They fear to return in the first place because of their children.

The bodies of those killed should be found. Their relatives are still searching for them. Those who were illegally arrested, if they have no guilt, should be set free. The whereabouts of those who were convicted should be made clear so that they could be contacted.

When this work is completed, peace will return to our republic.

===== Nu, zayats, pogodi!