[lbo-talk] JDK runs on FreeBSD!!!

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Mon Oct 25 06:41:19 PDT 2004

On Oct 24, 2004, at 7:46 PM, Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> Also, many of my open source comrades are unhappy with what they see
> as the proprietary nature of Apple on the machine end. That is, they
> wonder why they should develop for a platform that requires you to
> purchase a vendor specific type of hardware to run?

Thanks for this insight (and the URLs). As I was beginning to suspect, what we have is basically a political set-to rather analogous to the moderate/radical Left one in the macro political world. The open source people are damned if they are going to support the corporate giant Apple, just as the Nader and points-to-the-left-of-Nader people hate the DP with a passion.

Apparently, as a prospective Kerry voter and Mac user, I'm on the moderate side of both conflicts. Obviously this says something deep about my personality.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A gentleman haranguing on the perfection of our law, and that it was equally open to the poor and the rich, was answered by another, 'So is the London Tavern.' -- "Tom Paine's Jests..." (1794); also attr. to John Horne Tooke (1736-1812) by Hazlitt