[lbo-talk] JDK runs on FreeBSD!!!

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 25 09:22:05 PDT 2004

Ravi:

linus thinks freebsd is crap?! do you have a source to this? i find it very suspect. i doubt he would say that even of mach, despite his ongoing war with andrew tannenbaum.

===========

The story that Linus declared OS X to be "crap" hit the open source world in 2001 and, like a failed satellite in a decaying orbit, flamed brightly for a spectacularly hot moment.

According to Linus, events didn't go down as initially (and heatedly) reported:

from -

<http://www.itworld.com/Comp/2384/LWD010410maccomments/ >

Linus Torvalds said April 8 that reports of him trashing the new Mac OS X are simply misquotes, as he has "never commented on OS X." The reports stem from early looks at his upcoming autobiography, Just for Fun: The Story of an Accidental Revolutionary, which he coauthored with David Diamond.

The book does contain some criticism of a microkernel design called the Mach kernel, upon which the Mac OS X kernel is based. As a result, Torvalds has taken heat from Mac faithful. In an email interview with LinuxWorld.com Torvalds said: "Interestingly, the thing erupted over a fairly small passage in the book: it's not as if I spend a few hundred pages bashing Mach. In fact, I spend a lot more pages in the book complaining about how people always take me (and other 'tech luminaries,' for that matter) too seriously and get all hung up about details."

As for the Mac OS itself, Torvalds feels that its new kernel is a big step forward. "All of the interesting stuff in OS X is actually outside the kernel: what makes Macs special is not the OS (which historically has had tons of design problems, even more so than Mach ever has -- so OS X is bound to be a big leap forward), but the UI and the ease of use. Which has very little indeed to do with Mach," he said.

full at -

<http://www.itworld.com/Comp/2384/LWD010410maccomments/ >

.d.