[lbo-talk] redudant

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Oct 25 12:41:34 PDT 2004

I've been declared redundant and I'm actually happy! :)

the separation from employer is amicable, thus far. I was already looking, as some of you know. I'd become so stressed out working so many hours that I actually got pretty sick. The doctor told me I was going to, literally, kill myself.

He's given me a decent* letter of rec and I know all my clients will give me great stuff. He's agreed to write me letters to cover all the different hats i wore, too.

he's agreed to cut me free of any contract work i'd had with him on the side and i'll be bidding on contract work as it comes up. also, he doesn't object to me going into business for myself, using all the intellectual work i'd created for him as my own.

I haven't signed any of the legal stuff yet. Is there anything I should consider before I go ahead and sign, accepting the 5 weeks of severance pay?

e.g., the beau said I should sue him for all the back overtime he owes me. I think it's a bad idea. FL ain't labor friendly. it's a gamble. If I go into business for myself, he could sink me b/c we'd be traveling in the same industry circles.

Also, if anyone has experience with this, can you take a look at the letter of rec and tell me if I should tweak them in certain ways. You know, there was a code in academia for letters of rec. I'm not certain what it is in corporate world. If anyone has experience with this, i'll send you a copy of the letter or give you access to a Web site where you can view it (sans identifying company info).

Thanks!

"We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling