[lbo-talk] JDK runs on FreeBSD!!!

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Oct 25 19:12:42 PDT 2004

At 11:25 AM 10/25/2004, ravi wrote:
>Michael Dawson wrote:
> > Amen. We will not shop our way to a better world.
>
>shop? open source is free. perhaps i should've made that more explicit
>in my message promoting mozilla: you do not have to shop or pay for it.

I think his point is that in any case, you're still advocating one product over another, as if choosing firefox (or...fill in the blank) will create a better--as in socially just-- world. hardly. might make life more bearable in terms of the effects of malware, but that's it.

it's still consuming and, we've had this discussion before, open source is often parasitic on capital anyway.

as for ugliness--the mac vs. pc issue. I dunno, my box is out of sight. All I see is my nice, purty flat screen. When a member of Testosterone Central is here, they say things like, "What a far out computer!" -- as if the monitor _is_ the computer. :)

Besides, there's always box mods! http://www.envador.com/

"We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling