[lbo-talk] exit polls

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Mon Oct 25 19:33:54 PDT 2004

Doug quoted:
>"The two head the National Election Pool, which replaced the Voter
>News Service after the reporting disaster in 2000."

Is there any reality to the 2000 'disaster' characterization? They called it for Gore here in Florida, and that was indeed who a majority tried to vote for--in Jacksonville, in Palm Beach--so it was actually a more accurate reflection of voter intent than the results. Did they mess up somewhere else?

>"Since 2000, we have a better realization of the limitations of the
>actual vote. There are certain votes that aren't counted on Election
>Day, and there has been an increase in the percentage of people
>voting before Election Day."

So they're going to adjust for those "certain votes" that aren't counted? I can see it now. Well, Jacksonville has a 29% African American population, and last time 27,000 votes were thrown out, so we can expect n percent not to count this time... kind of ruins exit polling as a test of the voting systems, eh?

Jenny Brown