[lbo-talk] Butler on Derrida

Lance Murdoch lancemurdoch at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 21:54:49 PDT 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 17:05:34 -0400, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> [ok all you anti-theoryheads, here's some rich material for you to mine]
>
> <http://info.interactivist.net/article.pl?sid=04/10/25/1241241&mode=nested&tid=9>
>
> "On Jacques Derrida"
> Judith Butler
>
> "How do you finally respond to your life and your name?"
>
> Derrida raised this question in his final
> interview with Le Monde, published in August 18th
> of this year. If he could apprehend his life, he
> remarks, he would also be obliged to apprehend
> his death as singular and absolute, without
> resurrection and without redemption.

I read this whole post until about half-way through that last sentence.

The Postmodern Generator ( http://www.elsewhere.org/cgi-bin/postmodern ) says:

The characteristic theme of the works of Madonna is the economy, and some would say the genre, of submodernist culture. It could be said that an abundance of narratives concerning not discourse, but prediscourse may be discovered. Marx uses the term 'postdialectic capitalism' to denote the collapse, and subsequent failure, of deconstructive sexual identity.

If one examines Lyotardist narrative, one is faced with a choice: either reject neopatriarchialist materialism or conclude that the State is capable of significance, but only if art is equal to truth; otherwise, Lyotard's model of Lyotardist narrative is one of "textual postconceptual theory", and therefore part of the dialectic of narrativity. Therefore, in Erotica, Madonna deconstructs textual theory; in Material Girl she affirms cultural discourse. Sartre uses the term 'Lyotardist narrative' to denote the common ground between society and sexuality.

. . .

Maybe I should submit one of the Postmodern Generator's to Social Text. That would be very...postmodern.

Fraternally yours, Lance