[lbo-talk] Re: Butler on Derrida

T Fast tfast at yorku.ca
Tue Oct 26 08:17:14 PDT 2004

> I'm reminded of the thread the other day on cognitive style & politics.
> "Conservatives" are said to dislike ambiguity and to crave certainty and
> stability. Seems like some of our left Derrida-haters share that
> preference.
>
> Doug

Right so now we are lead to believe that Derrida was unassailable and his politics pristine. Dudes not even fully cold and yet the mausoleum is being erected. One may be appreciative of Derrida's critical intervention and not thrilled with the politics of the Branch Derrideans. Just as one can appreciate capital and decry the axiomatization of Marx in the Anglo-American Academy (AAA). I would want to point to the similar fate Derrida in the deft hands and minds of the (AAA).

"All that solid melts into thin air"...and the rest is simply a reactionary move to a conservative state of certainty.

Travis