[lbo-talk] Re: JDK runs on FreeBSD!!!

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Tue Oct 26 08:23:34 PDT 2004

jimi ayler wrote:
>>linus thinks freebsd is crap?! do you have a source
>>to this? i find it very suspect. i doubt he would say
>>that even of mach, despite his ongoing war with
>>andrew tannenbaum.
>

> ravi -- well, ok, he was referring to the mach kernel,
> i guess, more than freebsd, although os x it a little
> (or alot) of both. all the same, read it and geek:
>
> http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2001apr/gee20010406005271.htm

thanks for the pointer! as i mention (though i was wrong in my belief that linus wouldn't call even mach crap), this is about mach and the difference, in this instance, is crucial, because of his (linus') long-running debate with tannenbaum (one of the majordomos in operating systems) regarding micro-kernels vs monolithic kernels. linus' choice of words, in his criticism of mach, echo (IMHO in a somewhat churlish way) some of the very things tannenbaum has written about linux (such as the bit about design mistakes).

--ravi