[lbo-talk] Re: Butler on Derrida

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Oct 26 12:58:20 PDT 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> >But Doug fwd it to the list with some silly sneer to the effect, "Take
> >that, you anti-theorists." But as usual Doug refuses to specify any
> >particular interlocutor but simply makes up some ghillie or ghostie to
> >cast his sneers at.
>
> They made themselves quickly apparent, Prof Sourpuss.

No, as a matter of fact no _anti-theorists_ have appeared. What you wrote exactly was, "[ok all you anti-theoryheads, here's some rich material for you to mine]."

It is true that no one has attempted actually to critique Derrida, the objections being merely empty squawks, but _neither_ has anyone taken a position against _theory_; they have taken positions against what they assume to have been the particular theories Derrida espoused.

I remain convinced that you have never read Derrida, which is why you prefer to comment on the personality of posters or simply quote J Butler rather than having anything of your own to say.

Who on this list is anti-theory?

My own posts are almost wholly theoretical. Perhaps, however, you read the same as you write posts. That is, you don't see anything in a post except the odd sentence that can be extracted from context and made the focus of a moral/psychological analysis not of any subject matter but of the poster.

Carrol